The Sr. Digital Content Manager will report to the Director, Content Development in Product Development. The Sr. Digital Content Manager is responsible for managing strategic initiatives and projects related to digital content and technology, including developing the most portable and interoperable content assets for new platforms, future partnerships, etc. The Sr. Digital Content manager will also oversee the team responsible for day-to-day operations, including maintenance, archive, distribution, and troubleshooting of Penn Foster’s digital academic content and assets.
The Sr. Digital Content Manager is accountable for the delivery of Penn Foster’s academic content, including managing the instructional design and technology, storyboarding, and delivery of academic and e-learning content. This position is responsible for managing the process of content development and delivery on-time and on-budget, managing projects from initiation through delivery to student. This position is also responsible for the lifecycle of academic content, ensuring quality development, a positive student experience with the content, and revision and review cycles for content.
- Own and maintain the learning management system (LMS) system from a content and course authoring viewpoint.
- Maintain the LMS supplement system.
- Collaborate with Inventory to create, maintain, and ensure quality of bills of materials for programs and courses.
- Lead all Product Development platform and technology projects, including platform convergence, content ingestion, and LMS migration projects. Work closely with IT on platform enhancements and standards projects.
- Oversee the maintenance, management, and archival of Product Development network files.
- Research, advise senior management on, and implement a content management system.
- Manage the process for creating, exporting, processing, and deploying academic content, web PDFs, and online supplements.
- Prepare and deploy streaming versions for audio/visual files, including course videos and lecture captures.
- Lead the team that troubleshoots student issues and complaints and completes online exam production controls.
- Lead the effort to converge multiple learning platforms by overseeing content migration and ingestion projects, as well as transforming content to be more interoperable and portable to other learning platforms.
- Manage technology-related content projects from start to finish including budget and timeline.
- Hire and manage freelance authors, subject-matter experts, instructional designers, and others to ensure creation, development, and instructional design of quality content.
- Manage and maintain relationships with external vendors such as authors, subject-matter experts, instructional designers, and others.
- Manage ADDIE content development processes and work closely with instructors, authors, and subject-matter experts to ensure delivery of quality content.
- Manage external and offshore content developers.
- Work with Sr. Content Managers to create and maintain guidelines and development documents for use with these vendors.
- Work with Production Editor and department directors to ensure projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Revise existing courses and programs based on student and instructor feedback, as well as developments in applicable vertical markets.
- Research the performance of students enrolled in the program areas such as analyzing exam completion information, social media comments and questions, and completion rates to inform a revision.
- Own all projects and advise Director, Content Development, senior management, and cross-functional teams on strategy and implementation of solutions.
- Act as Product Development liaison to the IT and Platform Engineering departments, representing content and course authoring in meetings and managing cross-functional projects with IT as well as other internal departments.
- Assist IT with installing and troubleshooting software Product Development software.
- Collaborate with platform engineering team on customizations, enhancements, and revisions to the learning platform and advise on customization and interoperability of learning content and learning platform.
- Manage user acceptance criteria and user testing from the content and course authoring point of view.
- Advise on the content and course authoring piece of the product roadmap.
- Manage Product Development’s Jira presence by entering and overseeing project requests, bugs, and other tickets.
- Work with IT on user experience of the LMS to improve progression rates.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams to develop content positioning, value proposition, and competitive differentiation.
- Manage the digital assets team and ensure quality and consistency in quality assurance and digital content projects. Drive continuous improvement around the process and operations of digital asset management and day-to-day operations.
- Recommend new technology and updates for systems and software used by product development in processes and for content and delivery.
- Work closely with the Production Manager to suggest workflow process improvements as required by the needs of the business.
- Perform quality assurance checks for online courses and exams.
- Assist in improvement of department processes and relationships with other departments.
- Create and provide regular reports on the assigned workflow.
- Work with Production Manager to create and maintain procedural knowledge bases. Document all content technology and digital assets processes for inclusion in the knowledge bases.
- Work with potential and existing clients and partners and represent Product Development in external meetings. Articulate the Product Development process, learning platform and model, and content highlights.
- Suggest, create, and maintain technology and multimedia elements for use in online courses. Identify technology, features, and functions needed to be the best in market with programs.
- Construct and maintain online course presentations using a variety of software programs, including Lectora.
- Develop content for elearning at the high school, career school, and college levels.
- Create and maintain content technology, such as simulations, media, multimedia presentations, etc.
Skills & Abilities
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate work in instructional or information technology a plus.
Experience: Proven experience in being highly organized and process driven. Previous project management and people management experience preferred. Previous product development experience a plus. Experience with learning management systems strongly preferred.
Computer Skills: Experience in various business, desktop publishing, and instructional design software including, but not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite, Camtasia, and Lectora. Knowledge of various learning management systems. Knowledge of older desktop publisher software, such as Quark, Ventura, and PageMaker, a plus. Proficient in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of project management software and communication tools, such as Teamwork PM, Slack, Google Drive, Dropbox, and Jira.
Certificates & Licenses: Project management certification a plus.
- Familiarity with Adult Learning Theory and adult and nontraditional learners.
- Familiarity with educational technology, formats, and standards, such as common cartridge and SCORM.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to lead cross-functional product initiatives.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly.
- Ability to work with a smile in a fast-paced, team-based environment.
- Must have a love for creating great products.